Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Strike of Knowledge (Part 8)

Chapter 8: Monster you created
The next day, I felt like I had aged thirty years. It was hard to make myself get out of bed and get ready for another long day. No longer did I have a hand to hold onto whenever I walked to class. Going to Music Theory, I saw something that made my blood boil. Jason was yelling insults at Flynn and blocking his way to class. “Hey!” I called as I marched over to Jason. “Pick on someone your own size, geek.” Jason turned and looked at me. “Well if it isn’t jerk Josh!” he mocked. Where’s your girlfriend? She break up with you, daddy’s boy?” I clenched my fists before a voice said, “She’s right here.” Stepping from the shadows was Catlin in her gorgeous glory. Although, there was nothing gorgeous about her now. Jason stopped what he was doing and was trying to compose himself. “Oh, I’m sorry miss. I was just trying to teach your loser ex a lesson.” Flynn pulled on my arm in an attempt to steer me away, but I was too mad to move. Both of them were staring at me with contempt, and I wasn’t going to back down from those bullies.
Out of nowhere, Catlin raised a fist at Flynn while looking at me. “If you don’t apologize to me and amend our relationship, I am going to break another one!” “Don’t you lay a finger on my friend,” I scowled. She grabbed his arm tightly and Flynn pushed her off.  She stared at me patiently like a black widow waiting for her dinner. There would be no way I would let myself get caught in her web that time.
Before I could run to Flynn’s aide, I heard a loud smack and felt a sharp pain as a fist hit my cheek. Jason was making his move again, but I didn’t let him get that far. I blocked his attacks with my arms and swung my foot at him as he dodged out of the way. “Ha, you will certainly be expelled now! My mother has won the case!’ I don’t freaking care,” I yelled, dodging another punch. “I am tired of you boasting about your stupid reputation and picking on students just because you can!” Jason rammed into me and I almost fell to the ground, but I got back up, despite his painful kicks at my side. Jason let out a sickening laugh and said, “Why don’t you shove your attitude up your puny little…” A direct blow to his groin cut off his threat. I was able to knock him to the ground before strong arms forcefully pulled me back. “That’s enough, young man!” said a deep voice.
Security guards dressed in navy blue came over and separated Jason and I. Catlin had grabbed Flynn’s neck, but soon she was restrained. Nicholas was standing by the guards, with a look of concern. “Nick, you traitor!” Catlin spat, struggling against her guard’s grip under her arms. “Now I am going to get in trouble.” “Catlin, you need some good help,” said Nicholas, before turning away. I was turned around and was met face to face with Ms. Stonewall. The look she gave me was colder than ice. “I should have known, you would cause more trouble.”
All four of us were brought into the waiting area by the offices, the guards surrounding us. A door leading to a meeting room stood in front of us. The atmosphere was tense, and I felt like a messed up criminal. Not surprisingly, everyone was silent, save for Catlin’s ragged sobs. In order for us not to fight, one of the teacher’s called on us by alphabetical order to go into the room to share their point of view. Catlin was first and she was still sobbing as she walked into the room. I hoped that none of the staff members fell for her victim playing antics. Finally after fifteen minutes, she came back out and was instructed to wait beside the far wall. Flynn was next and he gave me a thumbs up before walking in. After Flynn was done, Jason went inside. This time, I could hear the voices beyond the walls; and one voice did not sound pleased.
“That is not okay Ms. Johnson! Are you telling me that my son will be suspended for a week and fined for his behavior?” “I’m sorry Ms. Stonewall, but all of the students including your son must face the consequences of their actions, even if they were defending themselves, like Flynn. That is part of our policies and procedure.” “My son has done nothing wrong, he has top grades, the smartest in computer class and the star of our hockey team! Do you want him to miss a whole week of classwork?” “Classwork that he can do at home, a fine that your family are more than capable of taking care of and a formal apology letter done by Jason would be a good step in keeping him grounded. In fact, this school expects full apologies from you, or else you will have to resign from your teaching position.” I smiled victoriously. It was a relief that Ms. Stonewall was getting what she deserved. Finally, Jason and his mother were led out and I was last. I went in, trying not to look nervous.
“Good afternoon, Josh,” said Ms. Johnson, who was sitting across from me in a gray chair. I sat down and folded my hands. “Would you care to explain what has been going on this past week?” I took a deep breath and told her everything that happened since I got arrived from my break, (minus the private moments). “Jason insulted me and threw the first punch, and I fought back. Flynn was trying to defend himself from Catlin, who was mad at me for breaking up with her.” “I have a few concerns, Josh,” she said. “Why did you keep fighting Jason? Why did you run away from the staff and leave your sociology class?” “I kept fighting Jason, because I was angry at him for picking on other people. I left class because I felt that Ms. Stonewall was discriminating me in class. She unfairly criticized my essay for no logical reason and she disregarded every white male in the class except her son.” Ms. Johnson pushed her glasses into place and said, “While I understand your actions in regards to standing up for yourself and dealing with arrogant people, you still do not have the right to hurt other students and talk back to your professors. This is very childish behavior for a young adult. Is that understood?” I did the respectable thing and said, “Yes mam.” 
“Here is how this will work,” she continued. “Our staff have discussed the matter several times, and, after many days debating against Ms. Stonewall, she has lost her case.” I sighed in relief. “You, Catlin, and Jason will be suspended from campus for a week, but you are still responsible for completing your homework. Twenty five Canadian dollars will be taken from your tuitions and all three of you will not be allowed to participate in sports or extracurricular activities this semester. Also, you will all write formal letters of apology to the staff, Ms. Stonewall, and each other.” I tried to hold back my disbelief at such a punishment and a growl escaped my throat. Ms. Johnson glared at me. “Would a ten page apology essay work better for you?” I quickly composed myself and said, “The apology letters would be great.” “Good,” she said. “How about Flynn?” I asked.  “Flynn will stay here and continue his studies, but we warned him not to get into any fights.”
She continued, “One more thing, all of you are expected to leave within twenty four hours. We have also called your parents about what happened.” A soreness spread through my gut and the hairs on my neck stood on end. “My dad’s going to kill me,” I muttered. “You will get through it,” she said. “How do you know?” I snapped, my voice shaking. “My father slapped me for associating with the ‘wrong’ kind of people! He criticized me for not memorizing the Bible. He has made life for our family miserable. I’m willing to bet, he has a belt ready for me when I get back home!” For the first time, her face showed genuine sympathy. “I’m really sorry that you have to deal with that. Alas, I am in no position to deal with family problems. That is up for your family to handle. One thing to know is that I am also a counselor here on campus and I am available by appointment if you ever want to talk.” “Thank you,” I said softly. She gave me her card with her email and office number, walked over to the door and opened it. “You are dismissed, Josh.”
I had never felt drained as when I looked back at the campus buildings, my belongings in hand. It was hard to believe that things could happen in the blink of an eye. I knew mom would be disappointed in me and I could endure her chiding words. I was even willing to do all the chores and give my sister a break from them. My father though… I would never survive his wrath. Not only that, but it would prove his point that I would always be an unworthy, troublesome son in his eyes. Just before I got in my car, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I checked it, preparing for my father’s angry words, Catlin’s drama or Flynn trying to comfort me. It was Wendall.
W: You are a very lucky person, Josh. Remember that. No matter how your relationship is going, know that it is a blessing compared to others who aren’t even given a chance the first time.
J: Is everything alright, man?
W: That is a vague statement, considering that now I am constantly harassed for both my orientation and my religion.
J: I’m so sorry, Wendall. I know it must be hard for you.
W: I hate to say this, my friend, but you have no idea what I am going through.
J: I just broke up with Catlin who turned crazy and clingy, my rival, Jason and his domineering mother made my days miserable for no reason and now I have to deal with my angry parents for a week! I don’t know what could be worse than that!
W: How about seeing three letter words taped on your door every day? How about having your spirit broken, listening to how the Jews were treated throughout history in class? Being suddenly shoved around and people says that you have no soul?
There was a pause and he texted again.
W: Is it worse to have a threatening family? Or to have people threatening you and your family for things I can’t control about myself?
The last thing I wanted was to have my old friend turn against me too.
J: Look, I’m sorry that all of that happened to you. Did you talk to your family about it?
W: No matter what they do to help, it is never enough. Life is never enough, alone.
I looked over and saw Jason and Catlin walking to their cars with their belongings.
J: I have to go. I’ll text you soon.

I got my stuff in the car and got inside. Jason and Catlin raised their middle fingers and I returned the gesture. Then, I drove for home, cursing at fate again.

No comments:

Post a Comment