Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Strike of Knowledge (Part 4)

Chapter 4: Tirade
Sunlight momentarily blinded me as I woke up with a groan. I looked at my phone, the screen still cracked. “Let’s see” I muttered as I browsed through my schedule, “Music Theory at 9:00, Computer Science at 11:30…urgh Humanities at 2:00, boring English after that…” My mind was inclined to math, music, and mechanics. The last things I wanted to do were to write more essays and learn about how society was messed up throughout history. Thankfully, I could focus more on his major after several semesters. ‘Did I finish up that paper I was supposed to write?’ I thought.  ‘Probably not.’ I looked at the time and sighed; typing would have to wait until classes were done.
As usual, I felt like I was carrying the world on my shoulders as I walked with my backpack full of textbooks. I was dressed in my usual blue jeans, with a Canadian hockey shirt, gray tennis shoes and a blue scarf around my neck. The cold autumn wind blew against my face as I made my way to class. I walked along some more until a dark angel came into view. She moved with grace in her knee-length black dress, her long black hair blowing in the wind. A twinkle appeared in her gray eyes when she saw me. I recognized her right away. “Catlin!” I exclaimed as we hugged. “Oh, Josh, it’s so great to see you again! How was your weekend?” I shrugged and smiled as best as I could. “It was alright. Mostly doing my homework, playing video games and spending time with my family.” She looked past my demeanor and asked, “Are you sure everything went alright?” My face fell and I stared at the ground. “My Dad and I…still not exactly peas in a pod. It is frustrating to live with parents who never listen to you, you know?” Her face went blank and she said, “Uh, I don’t know, actually.” “You mean, you had great relationships with them?” I asked. “Never met them before,” she said. “They abandoned me when I was little and I have lived in an orphanage when my aunt was sick.” “I am very sorry,” I said, putting my hand on her shoulder. “It’s fine,” she said. “As long as I have you, there will be nothing for me worry about.” I hugged her again, hoping that could apply to me. “Well, I will see you later at Tim Hortans,” she said. “See you then,” I said, kissing her on the cheek. Tim Hortans, a popular coffee shop, was the place where we first met in high school. I briefly looked back at her walking away, then turned and walked ahead… nearly bumping into Jason Stonewall.
From a bully with a name like that, one would expect him to be the typical strong bloke, head of the football team, macho looking man. However, this guy looked the opposite: a lanky body thinner than mine, brown curly hair and thick rimmed glasses. The problem was, Jason could always find the nastiest, most hurtful things to say to other people. In terms of verbal attacks and speed, he was not the guy one would want to meet. “Watch were you are going, punk,” he grunted. I continued walking straight ahead, forcing myself to not look at him. “Hey Josh, I was talking to you,” he called back. A low growl escaped my throat as he followed me to class. ‘It is a Monday morning and I’m getting more stressful by the minute. I don’t have time for this.’
He appeared in front of me, blocking my path. “Beat it, Jason,” I spat. “I have to get to class. Shouldn’t you be doing the same?” “I don’t have class until this evening,” he answered. I weaved my way around him, but the little pest kept getting in my way. “Wouldn’t want to be late to class, would we?” he asked me. “I bet that would make your dad quite upset!” “You shut up about my father!” I said as I quickened my pace. He hurried to catch up to me. “You should know how fast information can travel by rumors, the Internet…and phone calls,” he mentioned with a wink.
I shuddered at the memory from last semester. My dad had called me on my cell phone when I was on my only break one day. He had asked me about my grades, my friends and he tried to persuade me to take a religious class. With online websites, it was easy for him to find out about my friends, no matter how much I restricted access to my accounts. As soon as he criticized Wendall and Catlin using not so pleasant labels, I argued loudly. I was in the men’s bathroom and no one was around, at least that was what I assumed.
“How convenient for me to be walking by and suddenly hearing your conversation just outside the bathroom door,” jeered Jason, sending my mind back to the present. “You crazy little creep,” I snarled. “I should report you to the authorities.” “I would like to see you try,” Jason smirked. “If my mother found out about some troublesome kid tattle telling on her hardworking, dedicated son, what would she think?” He blocked my way again and I shoved him out of the way. That didn’t faze him, even as he stumbled. “Mother would surely find a way to expel you for that! Wouldn’t want her to see a wimpy boy like you.” I ran as fast as I could, his laughter ringing in my ears as I reached my class. 
I was fuming and out of breath as I took my backpack off and sat at my desk. If I hadn’t had to go to class, I would have attempted to teach that son of a gun a lesson. Instead, I stared at my music theory textbook, getting ready for my first long lecture. “Hey man, is everything alright?” I looked to my left and noticed an unfamiliar face. His light brown hair ended at his shoulders and brown eyes looked at me with concern.
“I’m fine, thank you,” I said. “You sure? You were breathing hard and clenching your fists,” he mentioned. “Oh sorry, bad day,” I stated. “Everyone has those days, but it sounds like it is pretty bad, huh?” I nodded. “Well, if you ever want to hang out, that would be cool. I am a member of a music club on campus. Name’s Flynn by the way.” “Josh,” I said, shaking his hand. They were about to talk some more, but the teacher walked in and the class quieted down. “Good morning everyone. I hope all of you had a nice break. Let’s pick up where we left off on scales, pitch, consonance and dissonance…”
My mind was already tired as I walked out of my computer science class. Coding and making programs could be quite complicated at times. Thankful that it was lunchtime, I drove myself to a nearby Tim Hortans. After parking near the front, I got out and walked through the door. I ordered an original blend coffee and then sat down at a nearby table. My phone buzzed in my backpack and I took it out. A text message from Wendall appeared:
W: Hey Josh, everything is going ok here in the States. Still hard to get used to the culture here. The weak health care systems and the crime rates here are appalling. Plus, it is hard to understand people sometimes.
J: Yeah, I know the feeling. So far, there is a vile stalker bully who wants to make my life miserable. No calls from Dad yet, thankfully.
W: I have a problem of my own. Remember my friend David that I told you about?
J: Yeah
W: Well I finally got the courage to ask him out and he declined.
J: Sorry man. Was he seeing someone else?
W: Actually, he openly stated that he wasn’t interested in relationships with men or women, only friendships.
J: That’s kind of weird. No experience?
W: No idea. Probably just the way he is. He has probably been that way for all 26 of his years
J: Still makes no sense to me
W: Sorry, hard to stop thinking about him sometimes.
I sighed and shook my head. Life was getting stranger by the minute. At least Wendall seemed to be having a decent time over there. Another text from him appeared and I was slightly taken aback
W: So are you seeing anyone?
J: I thought you knew about Catlin? We have been together since high school.
W: Oh, that’s right. I thought you too were just close friends.
J: Well, that’s what happens when a man and a woman get close over time, right?
W: Perhaps
J: You aren’t interested in my girlfriend, are you?
W: No I am not, man. It is actually…the other way around.
J: What do you mean?
W: I was thinking, that since we have known each other for a long time and you are my amazing best friend, could we, you know… do more than hang out when I come back for winter break?
J: Are you asking me out?
W: Yeah
I was totally shocked. Of all the crazy things to happen this month, this had to be the most profound. Surely I had to be imagining things. As good of a friend he was, he couldn’t match up to Catlin’s movements, her lovely voice, and her kind personality. Also, her secretive and sexy demeanor could not be compared. As painful as it was, I had to tell him the truth.
J: Wendall, I am blessed to have an amazing friend like you. You have been by my side through thick and thin ever since elementary school. However, I just don’t feel comfortable going on a date with you. I hate to say this, but I am straight and there is nothing I can do about it.
W: So, you also don’t want to ‘dig deeper’ in the future?
J: If you are saying what I think you mean, than the answer is most certainly no.
There was a long pause. Then he replied.
W: It’s okay man, I understand. I just wondered.
J: Don’t worry, this won’t affect our friendship in anyway. There are plenty of fish in the sea. I am sure you will find a decent guy over there.
W: You are lucky, Josh. It is hard for someone like me to find a mate. I’m surprised I haven’t been bullied yet.
J: Just keep your head up, man. We will hang out again before we know it.
W: I hope so. Off to finish more work.
J: Talk to you later.

I ran my hands through my short black hair. Wendall had tried to hide his disappointment, but that long pause in the conversation was enough evidence for me. I looked at the time on my phone and cursed. I got up and walked out the door, determined not to be late for my least favorite class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment