Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Strike of Knowledge (Part 5)


Chapter 5: Victim of Design
The moment I walked into my humanities class, I knew I was going to have a hard time. There was only one seat left in the back…right next to Jason. I asked the other students if they wanted to switch seats, but they looked at me like I was crazy. What was the deal with people being possessive over certain seats that weren’t even assigned?  I sat down in the back and moved my chair as far away from Jason as I could, earning a smirk from him. “Nice to see you again, wimp,” he said. “Hello to you too,” I glowered.  The teacher walked in with an air of authority. Her hair was long and brown and she wore a navy blue business skirt and top. Her eyes had the same arrogance as Jason’s. I was surprised her son was sitting beside me and not up front like a special snowflake. Then again, he had an A in this class, while I was barely holding onto a C. 
“Good afternoon,” she said. “Let’s pick up where we left off on sociological labels.” I inwardly groaned. I hated the fact that people placed unnecessary labels on each other based on race, sex, orientation, background etc. After taking notes on the Civil Right’s movement and the customs of other cultures, she went on to explain privilege and oppression. “It is everyone’s obligation to be aware of various issues not only in our society, but all around the world. As a privileged group, the majority of responsibility falls on the shoulders of straight, white, men.” At that moment, Mrs. Stonewall glared at me. ‘Are you kidding me right now? I know many people have it worse than me, but I have my own problems to deal with.’
After a long lecture, the professor made us write rough drafts for an essay about white privilege throughout history and how it still impacts us today. Honestly, that long French history paper I did in high school was easier and more entertaining than this paper. Jason’s constant pestering of me didn’t help me concentrate.
When class was almost over, all of us had to hand in our written drafts for Mrs. Stonewall to grade and, as expected, she wasn’t happy with mine. “Not enough detail about the history,” she critiqued along with “Doesn’t seem to care about the struggles of the minorities as a white man.” How freaking ironic! A sociology professor who is supposed to treat everyone with equal respect like the subject entails, but instead blames me on my so called “privilege” for no reason. I shot an angry look at Jason who was covering his mouth with his hand, hiding giggles. The other students went back to their seats but I held my ground at the front of the room. “Why are you criticizing me, Mrs. Stonewall? What did I do wrong?” “Aside from not paying attention in this class,” she began, “Jason also told me that you have been bullying him for a while.” “Your son has made my life and the lives of other students a living hell!” I fired back. “He even followed me and eavesdropped into my private conversation!” At this time, my classmates had settled down and curiously watched the argument. “From what I heard Jason say, it sounds like it was the opposite of what you were describing.” “He is a manipulative liar who doesn’t deserve the spoiled attention he’s getting,” I claimed. Some of the students cheered for me, while others pretended to read their books or text on their phones. The professor regarded me with her cold eyes, “Josh, if I were you, I would apologize to Jason and to me for your unacceptable behavior. I would also stay after class to work on your draft until it looks decent.” Didn’t this horrible b- witch know that I had an English class after this? Also, there was no way was I going to apologize to that slime bag, especially not in front of the class. I was already embarrassed at the situation I put myself into. However, I had to stand up for myself and any of Jason’s victims. “But…” “I will not say it again,” she said, crossing her arms like a scolding mother.
“I am very sorry about my behavior, professor, it will not happen again,” I said, forcing my voice to be calm. She nodded in approval then looked to Jason. “Forgetting someone?’ she asked me. I looked at Jason who had a goofy smile on his face. I clenched my fists as I walked back to him. “Jason, I am really sorry…about you being such a big fat a-hole!”
The class erupted with laughter. Jason’s face quickly turned beet red. Before he could react, I grabbed my backpack, disregarded my paper and made a break for it. “You come back here at once, or you will be suspended!” called the professor, but I was already out the door. I could hear more whoops and “oh, so busted!” from the room, but the noises faded as I made my way down the hall.
Thankfully, there was no one running after me as I made my way to English. During class, I was silent the whole time, listening to the teacher drone on and on about conjunctives and paragraph form. No one asked me questions and not even the teacher seemed to acknowledge me. The hours went by, and we were dismissed after what felt like forever. I walked back to my dorm room, my back slumped like an old man.
I watched other students texting on their phones, talking about trivial things and heading off for meals. It would seem so easy and effortless to talk about sports, sex, politics, and even different brands of clothing and video games like the other guys I have encountered. From the last couple of weeks and even today, I had gotten into the routine of doing homework, watching ads on TV and even going to meals at certain times every day. It felt like getting caught in a loop, only for the cycle to stop, and another one to start. Almost like my life, like all of our lives were planned from the beginning. By who, though? The previous generations who show disdain for the younger ones? By parents and society who encourage and force people to get careers and behave in certain ways, even without saying it out loud? Maybe I’m just a troublesome sheep who decided to wonder from the rest of the herd.

Was I overthinking again? I must have been. Was that my way from distracting myself from my problems? Or was I making things worse? One thing for sure, I have always felt like myself, no matter how different I seemed to others, and that wasn’t going to change anytime soon. I unlocked my door, put my backpack down and crashed onto my bunk bed. My anger still simmered inside me like a small flame, but soon, exhaustion form the events of the day swept over me. Small tears flowed from my eyes as I thought ‘Why did fate do this to me?’

No comments:

Post a Comment