Friday, July 24, 2020

Murder On The Air Chapter Twelve


Chapter Twelve: “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile”

Roaring twenties/jazz age, nineteen twenty five

A short, chubby woman was sitting in a chair in front of a circular mirror backstage. The mirror frame was decorated with large round bulbs. The woman had short blonde hair, white skin, emerald green eyes, and bright red kissable lips. Her thick thighs, wide hips, and plump breasts had caught the attention of many a man who took a long glimpse of her whenever she passed by. She was currently wearing a dazzling dark pink flapper dress embedded with sequins. Her earrings were dark blue and shaped like teardrops. On her head was a headband full of pink feathers. Dark purple high heels fit perfectly on her feet. She also wore a pink and purple beaded necklace. The woman hummed as she carefully applied eyeliner.

"Mimzy, you're up," called a voice by the set of switches for the lights.

Mimzy took a deep breath and stood up. Fluffing up her hair and straightening out her dress, she strode confidently toward the long red curtains. The curtains soon parted, illuminating her round face. Despite being cheerful and confident in her singing, there were other times where she would get miserable and appear fragile to onlookers, hence her name. Indeed, she was one to wear her heart on her sleeve. She had even gotten the idea to sew in gemstones shaped like hearts on her long indigo silk gloves.

But tonight, nothing would get her down.

"Here's your favorite star singer, Miss Mimzy Hannigan!" said the suited announcer.

With a clacking of her heels, Mimzy walked up to the microphone, holding onto the top part with a maroon gloved hand. It felt exhilarating to be in the spotlight once again. Down below, a group of younger girls in the front row cheered, "We love you, Miss Hannigan!" A group of men stared at her lovingly and one even held up a small bouquet of pink flowers.

Mimzy blushed in pride, then cleared her throat.

"I have a special song for you all tonight. It's one of my favorites. Down Hearted Blues."

The band below played a slow jazz tune that slowly sped up a bit. The familiar tones and melodies vibrated through her, as adrenaline kicked in. Her body was already swaying to the beat. She opened her mouth and began:

"Gee, but it's hard to love someone
When that someone don't love you
I'm so disgusted, heartbroken, too
I've got those down-hearted blues"

"Once I was crazy 'bout a man
He mistreated me all the time
The next man I get has got
To promise to be mine, all mine"
"Trouble, trouble, I've had it all my days
Trouble, trouble, I've had it all my days
It seems that trouble's going to follow me to my grave"

"Gee, but it's hard to love someone
When that someone don't love you
I'm so disgusted, heartbroken, too
I've got those down-hearted blues"

"I ain't never loved but three men in my life
I ain't never loved but three men in my life
My father, my brother, and the man that wrecked my life"
"It may be a week, it may be a month or two
It may be a week, it may be a month or two
But the day you quit me honey, it's coming home to you"
"I got the world in a jug, the stopper's in my hand
I got the world in a jug, the stopper's in my hand
I'm going to hold it until you're under my command"

"Gee, but it's hard to love someone
When that someone don't love you
I'm so disgusted, heartbroken, too

I've got those down-hearted blues
I've got these down-hearted blues
I've got these down-hearted blues."

She ended it with a "whoooo" vocals and a pose.

The audience clapped and cheered as the music stopped. Mimzy smiled and took a few bows.

"Thank you, everyone."

"There you have it!" called the announcer.

Mimzy waved and blew a few kisses before disappearing backstage. Mimzy had failed to notice a certain man with light brown skin, brown hair and eyes clap and nod in approval with a big grin.

After the curtains closed, Mimzy let out a big sigh. She relaxed on her chair and took a few drags of her gasper that she had placed by her bottles of makeup. Puffs of smoke flew out of her mouth in circles. Ever since the Prohibition began, Mimzy had longed for the taste of liquor and alcohol.

"I'll figure something out," she thought. "Even if it means buying some at a black market."

Mimzy's career was off to a splendid start. It all started in New Orleans, her home town. After facing some harsh competition from other candidates, she was able to land a led spot as a singer. Although she played pretty good on the saxophone and piano, singing was her forte. Her dedication had paid off when she got to perform at the Imperial Theater, her first real test of talent.

Mimzy had smirked in satisfaction after her high school bully, Baltimore had nearly topped her in a singing competition. She was from the E district, always tormenting others with a false smile. She was known as "Oriole" on stage…Mimzy called her "The Bird." The woman had beige skin, long black hair and gold eyes. She had worn an orange sweater and a black and white stripped dress…no glamour whatsoever in Mimzy's eyes. Thankfully, Baltimore had coughed and stumbled over her notes, while Mimzy finished strong and proud.

"Fat slut," Baltimore scoffed as she was sent off stage.

"Suck it, bird brain," she mouthed, flipping her the bird.

It wasn't long before she was able to travel around to clubs in the east coast, where more people noticed her. Her dream finally came true when she became one of the well-known stars on Broadway! The men would "go daffy over dames and dolls" whenever they watched the woman stars perform. Celebrities, gamblers and gangsters would converge at four in the morning and have drinks in a lively way. They, along with Mimzy had graced "The Great White Way." Mimzy met her lover in New York who worked as a music publisher and was involved with Tin Pan Alley. Enamored by Mimzy's singing and with Mimzy impressed with his work, they fell in love and got married. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident, so Mimzy married his equally influential and handsome brother, Tyko.

Of course, luxury wasn't always handed to Mimzy on a silver platter. Paperwork, autographs and schedules would fill up her plate constantly, leaving little room for the sweetness of relaxation. Early mornings were not very fun, along with the constant critiques over her appearance. Gone were the days when she was mocked as "Fat Fanny," and "Miss Round," in middle school. It was replaced with a new kind of scrutiny. Now she had to make sure her clothes were on just right, not a hair out of place, not a shade too light or dark on her eyeliner, her blush not too much.

And the notes as well…can't sing too low or too high on certain parts. Keep up with the tempo, one left foot could spell trouble if caught by a critical eye of a judge. Don't stumble over lines…improvise and be wise. Confidence and beauty are everything.

And then there was her husband, Tyko, a burly man with short blonde curly hair and a sandy beard. Well-off and rich, he treated Mimzy as a trophy wife. She was there for his satisfaction as well as to augment his own status. She had loved him before, but now…she wasn't so sure.

Mimzy slouched home, a yawn escaping. Tyko spotted her.

"Make me some grub and let me see those boobs bounce," he ordered, with a leer. Mimzy grudgingly obeyed. Mimzy only half-listened as Tyko talked about his job and his followers.

Later that night in their master bedroom, Tyko leaned uncomfortably close to her. She was lying on the bed on her back. "Spread out those legs," he whispered.

"No."

"What?"

"I said, no!"

"Bad moods aren't acceptable…they don't look good on you."

"Neither does your face."

"Don't back-talk me, bitch!" he countered, slapping her face. "You wanna keep your career and beer? You stay in line."

Mimzy yelled and struggled to no avail. Her clothes were torn off and she was made to lean against the bed. Something hard jabbed at her ass as she let out pained yells.

A few hours later, Mimzy was asleep next to him, her insides sore from his merciless thrusting. She was wearing a dark blue nightgown with pink musical notes on them.

Enough was enough.

Mimzy slowly got up and tiptoed over to the kitchen. A pair of scissors was soon in her shaking hand. Creeping back over to her sleeping husband, she watched as he opened his eyes.

"Go to sleep, babe," he mumbled.

"I believe…that's my line," she mentioned, a new insanity in her eyes. His eyes widened and an angry scream escaped his mouth as Mimzy jabbed the blades straight through his Adam's apple. After some gags and struggling, he went cold and still.

"Sorry, hun, my hand slipped." For good measure, she stabbed and chopped up the rest of him, creating a bloody mess. She took several heavy breaths after she was done. Blood had stained her hands and turned the beige bed sheets dark red.

She would have to do some good scrubbing in the morning.

Mimzy went over to her husband's wooden cabinet and broke the lock. Inside was a bag of dollar bills and checks…his insurance money. Mimzy greedily licked her lips and took the stash to her bedside table. Her career would be much easier now. It was more than enough to pay for their home and car and their health insurances. In addition, she couldn't wait to buy more clothes, jewelry, and, perhaps, more drinks in secret. She might even go on an exotic vacation once her schedule allowed for more time off.

Mimzy went back to the drawer and found love letters written by other women to him.

She screamed and tore the pieces of paper apart. "I knew there was something strange going on!"

Mimzy was always jealous of other women trying to upstage her. Mimzy learned to show no mercy in competition…it was the only way forward. If she had to cut other dames down with scathing remarks or even a shove, then so be it.

If she had her way, those other sluts would be with Tyko's remains as well.

Mimzy washed the scissors clean of blood, then hurried off to find a large bag in her storage closet. She stuffed her husband's body in, then proceeded to haul it along to the front door. She grabbed her keys and retrieved a shovel from her garage. Sleep would have to be put off for later. With grunts, she opened the front door, taking the shovel, body, and bag with her.

Thankfully, the full moonlight allowed Mimzy to see better in the dark. The woods and bayou were not too far from where she lived. Not wanting to risk getting her car stained, she made do with dragging the body bag under the cover of shadow.

An owl hooted from within a tree as she made her way deeper into the woods, occasionally stopping to catch her breath. Her thick arms were starting to get sore and her feet shook. She trekked on, determined to find a spot deep enough in the woods to dig. After several minutes, she was not too far from the bayou. Flies and bugs hummed within the tall grass stalks. A nearby frog croaked as it hopped from lily pad to lily pad. The still water looked tar black, save for the ripples of silvery white from the moonlight refection.

Mimzy had found a flat brown spot in the grass to dig when she heard a scuffling noise from nearby. The sounds of footsteps in the distance. A distant scream and a thud.

She froze in place. "Hello?"

No answer. Another scream followed.

"I know men call me bearcat, but I'm not in the mood to get attacked by a bear tonight," Mimzy shuddered in thought.

She decided to quicken the pace, so she began to dig frantically. She peered through the dark, using only shapes and outlines to guide her progress. The hole in front of her was almost finished when she hear the sound of measured footsteps approaching. A twig snapping.

"Just my imagination," she assured herself. The steps grew louder.

She ducked behind a nearby tree, her back against bark and the footsteps stopped. Waiting a few minutes, she slowly crept out sideways then backwards. She felt herself bump against something soft and tall.

Mimzy slowly turned her head around, an apprehensive look on her face.

A shadow figure with sharp teeth and red eyes was staring right at her.

"Yahhhhh!"

She screamed and stepped back.

The figure looked startled as well and emerged from the shadows. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, take it easy."

Mimzy briefly flinched, then took a better look at the figure.

It was a tall man. A tall, very handsome man.

He was wearing loose gray pants, dark shoes, and a white shirt with light blue overalls. Although he was slender, he still had some good muscle and strength in him. Brown eyes peered at her under round glasses. His hair was short and brown, his skin the color of light coffee. He showed off a dazzling smile.

Mimzy's heart fluttered and it wasn't just because she was surprised. Suddenly, Mimzy felt very uncomfortable in her nightgown.

The man spoke first, "what's a pretty young dame doing out so late at night?"

Mimzy felt a blush creep up to her cheeks. She hoped he wouldn't notice the hole and the body bag.

But he did.

"Who's the poor soul you're burying?"

Mimzy stuttered.

"It's…um…my, uh…"

The man chuckled. "Well strangely enough, I brought a guest along, too."

He reached behind him and pulled out a body bag of his own.

The two of them stared in stunned silence. Mimzy's eyes darted back and forth. How utterly stupid it was to come out here. She should've waited until the early morning.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you, if that's what's eating you," the man said with another laugh. "Though I must say, I am getting hungry for some meat about now."

The way he phrased that made Mimzy swoon inside. Oh how she suddenly longed for a man like him to nibble on her ear.

"You alright, miss?"

Mimzy shook her head from her daydream at night. "Yes, I'm good. If I may ask…who did you kill?"

The man beamed. "Ladies first."

Mimzy sighed. "It was my husband. He was abusing me and he held most of the money."

"A get rich quick scheme…in the most extreme way! Priceless, I should say."

Mimzy blinked. "You…aren't troubled by that?"

"Not at all. How one performs their hobbies isn't my place to judge."

"What about you?" she asked.

"Some drunken couple stalked me and tried to attack. I killed them in self-defense."

He thought back to the moment when a tourist couple decided to spend time together near the bayou. They were known to be bad child abusers. He had taken them both by surprise and promptly cut them up with a machete. Mimzy glimpsed at the deceased couple through the opening of the bag. A man with brown hair and his blonde haired partner, cut neatly into pieces.

Mimzy swore in French under her breath.

The man had already peered inside her bag. "Wow, you certainly made a mess in here," he remarked. "If you want to properly chop a body, you need to make sure it's done more evenly."

"What…" Mimzy breathed in confusion.

"I'll show you."

He demonstrated how to cut the flesh and muscle into bite size pieces. "It's like cutting raw steak or deer meat," he said. He helped Mimzy with her finger positions. "Don't get your fingers too close to the blade."

"Where did you learn these things?"

"From my father," he said. Which was true.

"You haven't…killed anyone else, right?"

"Only those two," he lied. "What I often do is chop up the pieces and dump them in the bayou for the gators. But you can bury yours if you want."

"The gators…actually sound kinda fun…"

"That's great! Let's head on over there."

The two killers hauled their bags until they were at the bayou. Inch by inch, they carefully made their way down the small slope and toward the edge. The bags trailed behind them. Mimzy heard water gurgling and saw a small spout of water shoot up near the surface of the lake. A low growling made Mimzy's hair stand on end.

"That'd be the gators," Alastor grinned. He picked up a severed hand and tossed it into the water. The water moved and a splash was heard. Mimzy gasped as she saw a pair of eyes and a scaly long green face emerge. The alligator opened it mouth, revealing a long tongue and sharp white teeth. Mimzy almost screamed again.

"Just don't get too close to the water and you'll be fine," the man assured. He tossed in slabs of gory skin, an arm and a foot. The gator eagerly caught the pieces in several gulps.

"Wanna try?" he asked.

Mimzy hesitantly put her hand in the bag and retrieved a…

Oh god.

She hastily threw it back in, trying not to throw up. She then got a severed hand instead.

"That certainly comes in handy," the man said, laughing at his own joke. Mimzy rolled her eyes and tossed the hand in. She got other parts and threw them in as well. It almost felt like throwing a dog a bone or feeding animals at a zoo. The experience was even better when she saw how much the man was enjoying it, too.

They were soon finished, and the gators lowered their heads back down.

"That felt good," Mimzy admitted.

Just then, the man put his hand to his chest. "Goodness me, where are my manners?! My name is Alastor. It's a pleasure to meet you, sweetheart."

They both shook hands.

"I'm Mimzy," she said.

Alastor peered closer. "You look very familiar…ah! You're that beautiful dame I saw on stage the other night! I can see why you're so well-known…that was quite a performance!"

"Wait…you were there?"

"Yes indeedy. Oh but don't worry. Your secret's safe with me."

Mimzy blushed. "Alastor, you flatter me." Then she grew slightly worried. "I can't have anyone know about what I did. My career would be over and I'd be thrown in jail."

"I'm surprised I've lasted this long," Alastor said. Then he added, "…since I chilled off the couple. Whenever I get into trouble, I'm usually caught in less than a minute."

Both of them chuckled.

Mimzy stared at him more. "I think I've heard of another Alastor before." Then she gasped out loud. "Aren't you that famous host on the radio?"

Alastor nodded.

Mimzy blushed harder and let out a small squeal. "Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!"

Alastor started singing "You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" and Mimzy sang along.

"Wow," Mimzy said, catching her breath. "I've always dreamed of someday meeting my favorite person on the radio. I just…wasn't expecting it to be like this."

Alastor winked and gently rubbed his fingers on her chubby cheeks. "Life can be full of surprises. And I must say, your smile looks great on you."

Mimzy laughed joyously. "Say, you never told me what you're doing out here." She paused and her eyes narrowed. "Don't you know there's a serial killer on the run?"

Alastor paused and backed away, smile still on his face. His mind rapidly came up with something. "I know. You may have heard the reports on the radio. I heard rumors that the killer likes to hunt in the woods at dark. Me being a reporter, I'd like to get my ratings up whenever I can. I decided to brave the woods and investigate."

"That's very foolish!" Mimzy chided. "You could've been killed."

"Well, I do know how to defend myself…as I said earlier."

"Isn't it the job of the coppers to go out and investigate?"

"Well yes, but I figured that I'd try and gather some evidence myself. To boost my ratings, like I said. I know that sounds selfish…"

"No, no, I understand," she said. "Ratings and keeping up appearances are everything when you're a celebrity. But for goodness sake, please be careful!"

"Will do, my dear."

"I guess I better head back and wash up," Mimzy said with a sigh, walking over and taking the empty bag with her.

"I'll walk you back."

"No thanks," said Mimzy. "I can go on my own."

Alastor shook his head. "I'm not letting a charismatic doll walk alone at night."

He stopped beside her and held out his arm.

"On second thought…I'd like that," Mimzy said, interlacing her arm with his. The empty bags were on their shoulders. The two new friends strolled through the woods, talking about their careers and love of music.

"We should do a duet sometime," Mimzy mentioned.

"I'd be honored to do one with my favorite star," Alastor replied.

Mimzy fluttered with excitement and nervousness. "It'd be fun for both of us."

"Oh," Alastor added, "I could have you sing on my next broadcast! With a beautiful voice like yours, the crowd would eat you up!"

Mimzy laughed in delight. "Oh yes, I'd love to! Thank you!"

She reached down and squeezed Alastor's hand, which made him flinch.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Sorry. I don't like to be touched without permission," he said, moving her hand away.

"Apologies."

Soon enough, they had reached Mimzy's house.

"So, where's your jazz club?" he asked.

"Mimzy's Paradise? It's not too far from the French Quarter. My friend runs it when I go on tour. Man, it does feel good to be back home, I've missed New Orleans very much when I was gone. Oh and the club does have a back area for beer."

"I'm looking forward to it, Miss Mimzy," Alastor said. He gently pressed his lips to her knuckles. "I bid you adieu. Bonne nuit."

"Good night," she said.

Alastor snapped his fingers then took his leave.

Mimzy collapsed on her bed with a goofy smile on her face. The night had turned from a traumatic stress-fest into a romantic dream. She had flirted with other guys in the past, but she had always longed to hear Alastor's charming voice on the radio. Now here he was in person, willing to spend time completely with her!

Mimzy could almost hear the church bells ringing in the not too distant future. Her wearing a white wedding dress in his arms as their families clapped and celebrated in New York. Both of them laughing as they watched dozens of suffering orphans clean different buildings. The two of them singing on a private boat at sunset, toasting glasses of martinis and the best drinks. Having the wildest honeymoon…and her riding on top of him in bed. Their names and pictures in the newspapers all across the states…and maybe even the world.

Mimzy sighed happily at the thought of not having to be alone. Sure her husband had been abusive and was charming when they had first met. But here was a fresh start to her life, a new welcoming face. A dazzling face that could led her deeper into love and fame and personal bliss. A new opportunity had arrived, and she was going to embrace it.

Alastor sensed that a new fun friendship was sprouting. He and Mimzy had much in common: singing, dancing, drinking, and their high status as celebrities.

Plus their murdering event they shared. Alastor may have tweaked her memory a bit that night with a snap of his fingers. He had to make sure that she wouldn't tell anyone else about his murders. One could never be too careful.

Alastor could've easily slaughtered her right then…but she seemed like such a lovely lady. Perhaps it was coincidence that they had both met in the woods. Having a bunch of friends made life all the more enjoyable…provided they treat him with respect and grant him his privacy.

Alastor imagined the two of them having coffee and tea together in a backyard near the woods. Alastor sketching her plump figure on a sketch book and rolling his eyes at her pompous attitude. Mimzy arriving to Alastor's place for a visit and Alastor preparing fresh deer meat for dinner. Both of them dancing to music on the gramophone and radio in a mansion. Mimzy sleeping at her house and listening to him on the radio day after day…

Alastor couldn't wait to expand on his friendship with this lovely lady. She was quite the dish…in many senses.

Maybe if he got lucky, he could get a taste of her first hand.


Several months passed. Alastor and Mimzy grew closer as affectionate friends. Reporters and photographers flashed their cameras whenever the couple passed. Several of Alastor's fan girls were sobbing in the corner when they saw Alastor arm in arm with Mimzy. The girls would stare daggers at Mimzy, who would then turn up her nose in superiority.

"That heavy bossy bitch sings like a bleached whale," one girl mentioned to another.

"She can barely dance and flip," another added.

"I was supposed to be in the radio host's arms, not her."

Mimzy scoffed at them. "Let me know when you're able to go as far as I have."

She blew smoke in their faces and turned on her heels along the red carpet.

Mimzy briefly thought back at some of the friends she had lost on her way to the top. Some of them had parted ways with her because they had other things going on. Others couldn't believe the change in her friend.

"You used to be so kind and enjoyable," they said. "But ever since you got your name in lights, you set your sights only on wealth and admiration. I guess our friendship doesn't mean anything to you."

She saw flashes of her dark haired brother, his blonde girlfriend beside him. He gulped down a bottle of alcohol and mimicked the cry of a rooster.

"We are proud of you dear," her father's voice echoed in her head. "Just don't get too carried away." He had gone up to Heaven.

"You'll never be good enough," spat her mother. "I raised my daughter to be a model, not a clumsy dame who can barely stride properly." She had gone down to Hell.

Mimzy shook those flashbacks from her head. She didn't need any of them anymore. Not when she was with the most gorgeous dapper in New Orleans.

"Alastor!" she called." How about we stay over at my place tonight. We could have some…" She made a show of moving her hips… "…extra fun in the bedroom."

"No," he deadpanned, turning away.

"You…don't like sex or you want to wait until later?"

"No."

"Which one is it?"

"Did you not hear what I just said, dear? No sex, I'm not interested."

Alastor turned around. "We need to go to rehearsals soon. I suggest you keep up."

Mimzy inwardly laughed. "He's playing hard to get," she thought. "Every guy only wants one thing. Maybe if I could get him to open up…"


The day had arrived. The day of the special duet that they both were looking forward to. It took place in a vast echoing auditorium at the Imperial Theater. The wooden backdrops on the stage showed the city of New York against a starry sky.

Alastor was dressed in his beat suit and tailcoat, both red in color. He wore a red top hat to match. His signature microphone cane with gold antlers was in his hands. Black tap dancing shoes on his feet echoed when he moved. His undershirt was white and his bow tie was black.

Mimzy wore a matching crimson flapper dress and gold sparkly high heels. On her headband was a fan of fluffy red feathers in various shades. She wore gold eyeliner and her lashes were longer. Her lips were bright red, her nails the same color. Her necklace was made of real gold, set with diamonds and pearls. In fact, she was dripping with diamonds and pearls, especially on her fingers. Draped around her arms was a pink fluffy scarf.

Down below was a jazz band, a few violin players and a man playing a grand piano. Several guys had saxophones and trumpets in their hands. The lights dimmed down and the well-dressed audience went quiet.

The show was about to commence!

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen!" came Alastor's voice from off to the side. A spotlight shone on the host. Alastor was off to the far right of the stage, sitting on a chair with a table in front of him. On the table was a radio and a small microphone. Equipment was just behind the curtains, plugged into the wall. Nearby was a tall wooden loudspeaker to help amplify the audio…Alastor had made it earlier. The radio host had set up everything several days ago to prepare for the event. He had lifted up the heavier items in secret with magic. He was currently wearing headphones and facing the audience. A couple of members giggled and rolled their eyes.

"Yep, for those in the audience, this is what silly old me looks like behind the scenes, hahaha!" he joked. "Just without the fancy tuxedo. Anyway, I have some very special guests with me. My lovely audience below…say hello!"

The audience yelled and clapped in greeting. A young woman wore a dark dress, a gray and white rabbit fur scarf around her neck and peacock feathers on her large hat. She held up a sign that said, "Love you all, from Ashley."

Alastor noticed her sign and said in a sing-song voice, "Oh Ashley…"

The woman giggled hysterically and fainted back in her red soft chair. Her husband next to her rolled his eyes and shook her awake.

Alastor continued, "Tonight, you'll get to hear the stunning heavenly voice of an angel among our favorite stars…along with my own. Presenting…Mimzy Hannigan and the Dovettes!"

The red curtains opened, revealing the New York style backdrop. Mimzy was standing in front of a microphone, looking stunning in her flapper dress. Behind her were slender ladies dressed in colorful yellow, blue and green costumes…white feathers fanning from behind them like doves.

Alastor was soon by Mimzy's side as the music began to play a catchy dance tune. Mimzy began:

"I remember the way
Society would
Sit and croon me
A sentiment
It told me there's a place
That's like no other
You got to get there before you die"
"You don't get there by playing from the rulebook
You stack the aces
And load the dice"
"New Orleans
You're out there
How can we follow
Your sweet
Advice
To
Easy street"
Alastor joined in with her as they sang together:
"Easy street
Where you sleep 'till noon
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
On repeat
Easy street
Better get there soon"
"Easy street
Easy street
Where the rick folks play
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
Move them feet
Move them ever-loving feet"
"To easy street
Easy street
That's where we're living free
That's where we're living free"

The dancers did their dances and tricks in the background. They moved their arms and bodies in waves, sometimes twirling or leaping like ballet dancers. Mimzy and Alastor moved from side to side, as the background dancers lifted their legs in the air and danced in place. Mimzy and Alastor held hands and twirled around in a circle, earning more cheers and "awws" from the crowd.

The audience applauded when they were done.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen…" Alastor said, moving back toward the radio. "I think you all know this one. The song I play after every show. It's time for my favorite classic…You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile! Give it up for Mimzy and company."

He winked at Mimzy as the next song began. Mimzy danced and waved at the audience. Alastor began as he sang into the radio:

"So for all of the "Hours of Smiles" family,
This is Alastor Crowley saying…
"Hey Hobo Man, hey Dapper Dan
You've both got your style
But brother, you're never fully dressed without a smile
Your clothes may be Beau Brummelly
They stand out a mile
But brother you're never fully dressed without a smile
Who cares what they're wearing
On Main Street or Saville Row
It's what you wear from ear to ear
And not from head to toe
That ma-ah-ah-tters"

"Ah the lovely Medrano sisters…" said Alastor.

Three curly haired women in pink dresses nearby vocalized:
"H-A-Z-B-I-N
"Doo doodle-oo doo
Doo doodle-oo doo
Doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo"
Alastor continued,
"So Senator, so janitor
So long for a while
Remember you're never fully dressed without a smile"

The music played some more. The bright eyed and bushy tailed radio host was in his element. He moved his fingers and jets of harmless flames rose from the floor at the lower front of the stage. The audience gasped in amazement, their faces briefly red in the light.

"Oh you're never fully dressed without a smile
You're never fully dressed without a smile
Who cares what they're wearing
On Main Street or Saville Row
It's what you wear from ear to ear
And not from head to toe
That matters
So Senator, so janitor
So long for a while
Remember you're never fully dressed
Though you may wear the best
You've never fully dressed
Without a smile"

Alastor walked over to Mimzy and, with big smiles on their faces, they danced away.

The music sped up and the background dancers swooshed and flourished in graceful arcs.

The dancers chanted as the end climax of the song approached.
"You're never fully dressed uh-
"You're never fully dressed uh-
You're never fully dressed uh-
You're never fully dressed uh-"

Now was the moment shortly before Alastor would twirl his cane in the air and end with a belting finish, Mimzy in his arms.

He sang the last line as the music got louder and faster…

"You're never fully dressed without a…"
He was forcefully pulled down toward Mimzy with a yelp…she had grabbed his shirt. His cane clattered to the wooden floor. As the dancers yelled "smile!" Mimzy cupped Alastor's face and kissed him hard.

The audience clapped and cheered and stood up…it was a standing ovation. Cameras flashed as they captured the couple on stage, frozen in time. Mimzy deepened the kiss, her eyes closed in pure bliss. This was the fairytale dream she had always wanted. Those smooth lips against hers, his body warm, his heart racing. It felt like time had slowed down. She could almost see the sparkly bubbles and shining spotlights from above. She almost felt like she was melting.

Alastor stood paralyzed, his eyes wide. Her touches almost sent his body into panic mode. The pressure against his mouth and face…he felt out of control of his surroundings. And all those eyes watching him…

His mother was the only person he could trust to touch him...she alone had the privilege...back then. Everyone else…his father, the bullies, strangers, and now this friend of his, whom he had only known for several weeks. Along with frowning, being touched by others made him feel…vulnerable…weak. It was a different kind of masculinity standard. But instead of anger and strength showing power, it was smiling and dominating others through touch and manipulation.

He felt her damp tongue against his teeth and instantly pushed back. Despite his shaking body, he kept his poised appearance and his smile…it was a show after all. Mimzy bowed and smiled as small roses were tossed her way. She caught one and nestled it in her headband.

"Thank you, lovely New Orleans! Thank you!"

Steering his eyes away from Mimzy, Alastor bent down and picked up his staff. Then he walked back toward the radio and said in his usual chipper voice,
"I hope you all enjoyed that outstanding performance, dear listeners! This is Alastor Crowley signing off. And as always, stay tuned."

He flipped a switch and the radio equipment clicked off after a frequency of static. Mimzy glanced over and saw Alastor disappear behind the curtains.

"Al, wait!"

Mimzy raced after him. Alastor was desperate to get back to his comfortable home.

"Hey Al!"

He ignored her.

She raced forward, careful not to trip in her heels. She appeared in front of him.

"Al!"

Before he could say anything, a horde of reporters surrounded them. Mimzy smiled at the cameras. The flashing lights and the bursts of smoke were blinding to Alastor's eyes.

"Alastor and Mimzy, explain what just happened up there," a woman asked, holding up a microphone.

"I kissed the most famous radio host in New Orleans!" Mimzy proudly exclaimed, holding onto Alastor's arm with both hands. Through his smile, Alastor glared and shook her off. "It was a magical experience but one I truly deserved after all these years. Thanks to my adorable boyfriend!"

How degrading it was for this woman to parade him around to boost her reputation. Although, he had also wanted to boost his ratings, he at least wanted to do it for entertainment and their friendship. Looking into her green eyes, he could tell that she was basking in the attention.

"How was the kiss?" a man asked.

"Wonderful!" Mimzy declared. "Alastor and I plan on…" she paused for effect, "getting married in the near future!"

Alastor's eyebrows furrowed as he turned his head to her. "What? No!"

More questions poured in.

"How do your parents feel about you two being together?" another asked.

"My mom…she would not have been thrilled," Mimzy said, "But my dad was always happy for me. He just wanted what was best for his dear daughter. Just wait until my aunt and uncle hear the good news! Your turn, Al!"

Alastor's teeth clenched, his smile became strained. "I really must get going…early morning broadcast at first light!"

"But you didn't answer the question!" Mimzy piped up.

"I don't need to."

"Alastor!" called another reporter. "What can you say of your alleged sexuality, or rather, lack there-of?"

Everyone went silent.

"Mimzy…" Alastor said in a low voice. "Who did you tell?"

"Just a few of my friends…"

The reporters spoke in hushed tones.

Aastor's eyes flashed in anger. "Out of my way!"

He shoved several reporters aside before stomping away. Mimzy eventually caught up to him.

"What's eating you?" she asked. "I thought you enjoyed our time on stage. Was…was I not good enough?"

"No, you did wonderful," he said. "But why did you kiss me like that?"

"It was the perfect moment! I decided it was the best time to show my love to you! And did you hear the crowd? They adored us."

"You kissed me without permission."

"We're lovers," Mimzy countered. "We should be able to read each other's thoughts. You should be thrilled."

"Thrilled…"

Alastor shook his head. "I had the ending all planned out. And you humiliated me in front of everyone."

Mimzy scoffed. "Now you're just being dramatic. Just wait until the next few days…this issue will be over."

Alastor grabbed onto her wrist and looked her straight in the eye. "I value our friendship as much as you do. But do not touch me without asking again."

"Okay," Mimzy nodded as he let go. Mimzy had glanced over the threatening look in his eyes…if anything, he looked even cuter when he got frustrated.

"We're in a friendship…not a romantic partnership," Alastor said.

"Okay," Mimzy said, not really accepting his words. She was too confused and starstruck.

"I'll see you another time," Alastor said. "Get home safely."

Tears pooled into her eyes as Alastor left. "I'll show him that I am worthy enough."

Several days later, Alastor huffed at the recent newspaper headline: "Radio Host Alastor Crowley and Flapper Singer Mimzy Hannigan to be Married in a Few Months!"

"Alastor: Hiding a Sexual Disorder?"

"Scared of Intimacy…How Mimzy Copes With her Aloof Deprived Lover."

Alastor's tolerance for the flapper girl was reaching a boiling point. He did not agree with any of this at all. Alastor sighed after inhaling more smoke through his cigar…then blowing it out of his mouth. He sat on a bar stool alone at the counter, (one that wasn't labeled "for whites only.") He wasn't in the mood to stir up trouble.

"Alli, alli, Allll…" came a familiar sing-song voice.

Alastor turned and saw Mimzy holding several gift bags in her black gloved hands. "I brought some of these. I figured we could have a nice dinner together. How about Antione's at seven?"

Alastor figured it'd be rude to decline. "Sounds like berries to me."

"Excellent!"

In a brown suit, Alastor met Mimzy at the joint later on…and let out a strained breath. Mimzy was wearing a very revealing pink dress that showed the tops of her breasts and most of her fat legs. The dress was short and had pink fluffy rims on it. The dress was see-through as well. Her headband had peacock feathers sticking out.

"What do you think?" Mimzy asked with a wink. "Risqué, isn't it?"

"Oh…uh, wow, Mimzy…" Alastor said, looking uncomfortable. He scratched his neck. "Maybe cover up…a lot?"

Mimzy fluffed her hair. "Not happening."

Alastor laughed nervously before following her inside.

They later sat down together at a table. Alastor listened to Mimzy talk about her adventures in other clubs as he ate his crawfish dinner.

"What's in the bags?" he asked.

"Open them and see."

Alastor opened the bags and found…lots of red lingerie. Many men would drool over such a sight. Alastor…not so much.

"Surprise!" Mimzy exclaimed. "You'll get to see me wearing those tonight when we stay at the grand hotel!"

Alastor put the bag down. "What are you talking about?"

"Our pre-wedding honeymoon, all planned by me," Mimzy smiled.

"I didn't agree to any of that," Alastor said. The tension was building up in the air. "You didn't tell me beforehand."

"Well, now you know."

Mimzy took a few more bites, then continued. "I don't know where my life will take me…but I can't imagine it without you. Maybe not now…but sometime in the future…will you accept my hand in marriage?"

Alastor almost choked on his drink.

Alastor cleared his throat, the woman's feelings be dammed. "Mimzy…I'll cut to the chase here. I've always regarded you as an entertaining good friend. However…I do not hold any romantic feelings toward you."

Mimzy froze and stared in disbelief. "Are you saying…that you don't love me?"

Alastor nodded.

"Why?" she asked, her body shaking with sadness and anger. The people eating around them began to stare. "I've carried a torch for you for a long time. You are the one person who understands me better than anyone else. Why do you say that?"

"I don't want to be insured with you, nor with anyone else. Same goes with sex…I'm not interested."

"Do you have any feelings toward me at all?" she asked.

"Admiration and friendship," he replied.

"But that's…not the same. Why are you being like this? Shutting me out for no reason?"

"Because that's how I feel, Mimzy. Plain and simple."

Mimzy brushed aside her tears and leaned forward.

"What is wrong with you?!"

"There is nothing wrong with me."

"I doubt that."

Mimzy pulled her hair, clutching her face with her hands. Makeup spilled down her face and from her eyes. "I can't believe this. I told my family, my friends, all of New Orleans about our special day, and now you decide to bail out on me?"

"You didn't listen to anything I said to you, did you? I told you that I enjoy having you around. But I do not have feelings for you."

"What will it take to win that damn heart of yours?" she asked.

Alastor merely shrugged. They were silent the rest of the time. Alastor paid for their dinners then stood up to leave.

Mimzy hugged him tight. "Please consider my proposal, Al. Perhaps we can elope together after some time to ourselves."

Alastor gently pushed her away. "Friendship only or nothing," he replied. "Relationships must work both ways. In the meantime, show more dignity."

Mimzy sobbed as Alastor left.


The next night in nineteen twenty six, Mimzy found Alastor at a bar late at night. He was getting into a fight with an ignorant man who had sparked rumors about him. Mimzy had alcohol in her system after a fancy martini earlier on.

"Sexual dysfunction possibly connected with being colored?" Alastor spat at him. "I read your article in the paper and saw your face. Have you no shame?"

"Oh did I trigger the oh so famous radio host?" the man spat. "The guy who should've remained at the bottom all along. With the rest of the city scum!"

Alastor punched the man again, causing him to fall to the floor with a thud.

Mimzy walked in. She was wearing her signature dark pink flapper dress, necklace and headband. "Al," she said, setting some white flowers on a table. "I'm sorry for how I acted the other night. We can still be friends and I'll find a way to win your heart eventually." She hicupped.

"Now's not the time, Mimzy," Alastor explained.

"Can you explain why I saw you with another girl yesterday?" Mimzy asked.

"Belle's my friend," Alastor mentioned, glaring at the man who started to stand up. 'You have no need to judge the female friends I have."

"Friends indeed!" Mimzy spat, growing envious. "You're turning me down for her?!" The illegal alcohol in her system was causing her to get emotional.

"No!" Alastor shot back as he received a hard punch to his chest. The other people in the bar made their way outside, not wanting to be part of the conflict.

Or it could also have to do with the strange shadowy symbols that appeared above him against the wall, giving off the appearances of bats. The symbols vanished, but the room turned darker. Thankfully, no one had figured out that Alastor could do magic.

"You and your little girlfriend are done for!" spat the man. "Once you're homeless, I'll have her mouth around my…"

Alastor slammed the bastard's head against the floor, several times.

"Al, stop it!" Mimzy cried.

Alastor turned to her, letting go. "Why should I?" he said, more to himself. "You should get away from here!" The man groaned and pointed a gun at Mimzy. Alastor glanced back.

"Oh no you don't!"

With a swift punch, Alastor knocked the gun from the man's hand and landed a deadly blow to his head. He pulled out a knife and carved a small sigil on his neck. The knife handle was decorated with strange symbols and a deer head design.

Alastor stood to catch his breath.

Mimzy burst into happy tears. "You saved me!"

She raced into his arms and he dropped the knife. "You do love me after all!" She leaned against Alastor's chest, her breath smelling like her last drink. Her pupils were dilated.

"Mimzy, if you'd please…"

"Shush. Don't ruin the moment."

"Get off."

"You know we both want this."

"Mimzy…"

Without warning, Mimzy laughed and grabbed hold of Alastor's dick through his pants.

The horrible flashbacks came back to him…his father laughing and molesting him. Fan girls climbing all over him when he tried to get away. Those humiliating headlines that were there…because of Mimzy's gossip and desire for fame.

The world was full of lost causes.

Some friendships were destined to end.

Enough.

With a hard shove, Mimzy was thrown off Alastor. She fell on the floor, hard. Alastor straightened his round glasses.

She stood and rubbed her head. "Ow. Al." She briefly saw black spots, then her head cleared. She grabbed a nearby glass of water and gulped it down.

She took a few steps toward Alastor, hands on her hips, concern in her eyes. "I worry about you, Al. Stop this fighting, stop this madness," she pleaded. "Just…please tell me that you love me! I'll leave you alone after that…I promise…"

Then, Mimzy noticed Alastor pick up the knife that had fallen on the floor. She remembered the rumors that had been going on about the Louisiana Lunatic…how they liked to roam the forest at night. How they carried a knife with voodoo symbols on the handle. How on their victims that didn't vanish, a carved symbol was found.

Mimzy stared at Alastor…his bloody clothing, the stained knife, his strange smile…and the pieces clicked together. As Mimzy's eye grew wide at the realization, Alastor's smile grew. Everything he had previously told her in the woods were lies. The memory came rushing back to her.

She raised a shaking finger. "Y-You…"

"So now my favorite flapper girl figured it out…" Alastor mused. "Took you long enough." Mimzy noticed the dark circles under his eyes.

He took some steps forward as Mimzy moved back.

"That's impossible!" she tried to deny her suspicions. "You said you only killed in self-defense!"

"Why settle with only killing two?" Alastor asked. His eyes brimmed with a new madness that Mimzy had never seen before.

"When I can constantly search for more."

How could her beloved boyfriend and idol suddenly become a mass murderer?

"You surely kill too much!"

"Wrong." Alastor stated. "For me…it's never enough."

Mimzy stared at her former friend, now possessed by demonic thoughts.

"One cannot begin to describe the thrill for every kill I make. Their screams are melodies to my ears, their fearful faces a sight to see. Surely you can understand the empowering feeling you felt when you killed your husband!"

Mimzy just shook her head, tears rolling down her face. She had to escape this nightmare.

Alastor snapped his fingers and fire erupted to life in front of the windows on the other side of the bar…preventing people from coming back in.

His eyes flashed red. "Once I start…I can't stop."

Mimzy stared, opened mouthed. Alastor was using magic?!

"Alastor behind you!" Mimzy yelled in desperation. Alastor turned around.

Mimzy glanced at a crank phone and dashed towards it. Friendship be dammed, she was going to call the coppers on this maniac. She had just picked up the black ear-piece when rough arms pulled her away.

"Help! Help, som…"

Her mouth was covered by Alastor's hand. He dragged her along backwards, using his other hand to open a back door. The flames inched dangerously closer, creeping over the body on the floor. He hauled the struggling woman out into the side alley. She was soon pinned against the wall.

Mimzy whimpered as Alastor pressed the knife against her throat. "What was that saying in marriage? Til death do us part? Sounds pretty fitting about now."

"I…I loved you, Al. I did. Let go…please…"

Her pleas echoed in his head.

Let their friendship go…there was no turning back.

The knife sank deeper into her neck, letting out a spurt of blood. Mimzy's yells mixed with gagging. She choked on her blood.

"Such a beautiful sound," Alastor mentioned. "Never forget to smile, my dear."

Those were the last words she heard before her world went blank.
Alastor's breath caught in his throat…he couldn't stop a strange wetness from escaping his eyes. He chided himself.

Crying after a kill…pathetic!

She was his best friend. Oblivious, clingy…helplessly romantic…but still his friend.

Now she lay limp and pale in front of him.

"I think they went this way!" called a voice nearby.

Wasting no time, Alastor scooped Mimzy's body in his arms and sprinted toward the woods. Alastor soon made it back to his house. He gently set Mimzy's body on the kitchen counter. He rummaged through the drawer and found a meat clever.

All that running and fighting made him hungry. He almost felt sad for the poor girl. Her glamorous career suddenly cut short. If only she had listened to him in the first place. Thankfully, the rumors about him would eventually die down.

If things hadn't happened the way they did…

Alastor took a deep breath, brushing aside the aching regret.

"Well, Mimzy, you finally got what you wanted in the end." He kissed her forehead and briefly nibbled on her ear.

At the very least, his best friend would help him out one last time.

He raised the clever…

"…some intimate quality time with me!"

The clever sliced through with heavy thuds.

No comments:

Post a Comment