Monday, December 12, 2016

Moana review

What a fantastic movie! It is probably one of my favorite Disney movies to date.

Animation: One word: breathtaking. The bright colors in the movie brought life to the scenes and land. The way that the animators made the ocean look so real was spectacular. The facial expressions of the characters, were spot on.

Characters: Moana is an amazing protagonist in the movie. I like how the movie presents a woman of color who is brave, kind, adventurous, and the qualities of a great leader. Maui has an interesting backstory, and good character development throughout the film. I love Moana's grandmother, the lovable "crazy lady" of the village. The pig was a cute animal companion, and the crab was an example of an egotistical vain villain with a catchy villain song. The chicken was there for comic relief and I don't know what to think of the coconut pirates.

Music: The music was very catchy and fun to sing along to. "You're Welcome," "How Far I'll Go." and "We Know The Way" are my favorites. These songs in my opinion, are better than "Let It Go" and Frozen songs. (Sorry Frozen fans).

Emotions: I cried and laughed both times I saw the movie. The moments between Moana and Maui, as well as his moving tattoos having a personality of their own was funny. I cried during the scenes with Moana and her grandmother.

Cultural accuracy: This is where many people think the movie falls behind. Different Polynesian cultures were combined into one culture in the movie. I liked how the culture showed respect for the elders. It may not be completely accurate, but then again, it is Disney.

Overall: 5 out of 5 in my opinion. Highly recommend watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment