Monday, January 11, 2016

Different Minds (fanfiction)


Note: I do not own any of the characters and themes. All rights belong to the authors Beth Revis and Veronica Roth. This is for entertainment.

(Warning: spoilers from both stories ahead!)

There was a field of dry grass that moved in the wind. A spot in the air started to shimmer in circles like a rock splashing into a lake. Through the clear portal came a woman. She had blonde hair, gray-blue eyes and a narrow face. She wore a black shirt, black jeans and had three flying birds tattooed on her collar bone. “Where am I,” she whispered.
Just then, she saw another area shimmer in front of her. A woman stepped out, looking just as confused as she did. This woman had Mediterranean dark skin and brown hair. Her dress was light green. Around her neck was a silver fortune cookie necklace. On her wrist was a metal band. “Who are you,” they both asked at the same time, noticing each other. The blonde woman spoke first.
“I’m Beatrice Prior, but everyone calls me Tris.”
“My name is Ella Shepard,” said the dark skinned woman.
“Where did you come from?” asked Tris.
Ella explained, “I was going into the reverie to look into someone’s memories and then I ended up here.”
“Wait, you can control people’s memories?”
“Sort of,” Ella said. “There are these things called nanobots that go into your eyes and mind. They allow you to remember your memories or look into the memories of another person. They have to be connected to the reverie and it is very risky.”
“There was something very similar where I came from,” said Tris. “When I was in the Dauntless faction, our trainers made us go through virtual simulations to test our mental and physical abilities. It was a way to control and face our fears.”
“I worked at the Reverie Mental Spa and I helped clients experience peaceful memories,” explained Ella. “It seemed real to them and they would still be happy when they woke up.”
“Not in Dauntless,” said Tris. “There, you had to face your fears or you would be kicked out and become Factionless.”
“Factionless?” asked Ella looking confused.
“In my world, society was divided into five factions based on a person’s personality. It was a way to keep the peace but it was not as it seemed. The factionless were the homeless people and they rebelled against the system.”
“Wow, that is strange,” Ella remarked. “Personality is diverse, it cannot be grouped into five labels.”
“I was one of the ones who did not fit into only one faction,” said Tris. “I was Divergent and considered dangerous to the system.”
“My mother created the reverie to help people, but it was also dangerous. I was recruited by the government to spy on terrorists by looking into their memories. That was before I realized that the United Colonies government was behind everything. PA Young was pulling the strings.”
“That sounds very much like Jeanne, the leader for the Erudite faction.”
“What kind of fears did you go through,” Ella asked.
“My first fear was standing in a field like this one and being attacked by dozens of crows. They pecked at my face and cawed in my ears.”
“I think that is scary, but how would you feel being attacked and stung by a swarm of bees?”
Tris shuddered. “I would not like that one bit.”
“Yeah, it happened when I was trying to look into a representative’s memory to find answers. I learned that someone had altered my memory of me being with my boyfriend Jake Tyler.”
“Erasing memories,” exclaimed Tris. “That is similar to what the Abnegation officials did to keep the people from escaping the grand experiment. Another way to hide the aftermath of the genetic superiority war.”
“Sounds like the Secessionary War with androids in my world,” said Ella.  
“We have truth, fear and memory serums in my world,” said Tris. “There are no androids, holograms or whatever that thing is,” she said pointing to the metal band on Ella’s wrist. “Oh, this is called a cuffLINK” Ella said holding her hand up. “So it is like a wearable cell phone, with the Internet on it” asked Tris. “Yes,” said Ella.
“Anyway,” I eventually got back with Jake Tyler, the leader of the Zunzana rebels. Zunzana means ‘bumblebee’ by the way.”
“Interesting symbolism,” said Tris. “My boyfriend was Tobias but his nickname is Four since he only had four fears.”  
“It was really sad when I realized that the memories of Jack and I were real. I did not even know who he was until I learned the truth.” said Ella.
Tris spoke again. “I remember when Tobias was controlled by the Erudite developed simulation. He did not know who I was and he tried to kill me! Thank goodness he broke free of it and we saved the Abnegation from being killed by brainwashed Dauntless soldiers.”
“Wow, that sounds awful,” said Ella. “My dad was killed by an explosion in a lab and my mom was dying from Hebbs Disease every day for much of my life. I used the reverie to help her experience her happiest memory, anything to erase her pain. Then I found out that it was too late to save her, even when there were many android copies of her.”
“I’m sorry,” said Tris. “I watched my mom and dad die in front of me when I went to save my faction. It was…” She started chocking on her words and tears were starting to form in her eyes. Tears flowed from Ella's brown eyes. Ella put her arm on Tris' shoulder and they cried together for a while.
“Where are we anyway,” asked Ella. “I do not know,” said Tris. She tried imagining that there was a crack in the sky, but nothing happened. “This is weird,” she said. “I can usually control simulations since I am Divergent.” Ella imagined a brick wall rising up between them, but nothing happened. “What kind of dream is this,” she asked. “I do not want to be trapped forever in my mind!” “I guess I will have to wait until the simulation ends,” said Tris. “The nanobots and drugs do not last forever for me,” said Ella.
"Looks like we both have a lot in common," said Tris picking herself up. "We both lost our parents, we were both chosen to save our worlds. However, I can't go back to my world because..." "You died," asked Ella softly. "I got shot when I shut down the Abnegation simulation." "I was shocked and repulsed to discover that I was a cyborg version of myself" said Ella. " Part human, part machine. My original body is dead. I still cannot get my mind around that." They were both silent for a while. 
"Well it was nice to meet you" said Ella, pulling Tris into a small hug. "Same to you," said Tris. "It is nice to have someone else to talk to besides my parents." "Is that what death is like," Ella asked. "Will I see those I love when I die? When I am truly gone and not recreated, I mean."  "I guess time will tell," Tris answered. "For now, just enjoy the life you are living and know that you are your great self, cyborg or not. To me, you are a wonderful human being." "Thank you," said Ella. The field and sky were starting to fade. "Good luck Tris," Ella called. "You as well," said Tris. 

The air shimmered around them again and they both disappeared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment